The purpose of this assignment is for each learner to explore an alternate health care profession (different from the learner’s major choice) with the intent of increasing learner awareness of the variety of health care disciplines and the complexities of health care delivery. Further, it is the intent of this project to develop in the learner through the appreciation of an alternate health care profession, an interdisciplinary mind-set with respect to health care delivery. It is not the intention of this assignment to develop interview skills in the learner but rather intended for the learner to demonstrate a curiosity for the health care workforce structure and a self-directed inquiry into an alternate health care profession.
The Interview Structure:
During the first few weeks of the course, learners are intended to develop ideas regarding what it is they need to or desire to know about an alternate health care profession. Throughout the early weeks of the course, learners will begin to be presented with the varied professions involved in health care delivery. This introduction, along with the learner’s own curiosity, will serve to guide the development of the learner’s interview questions.
1. Listen to/read the material presented in the initial weeks of the course
2. Develop a curiosity for an alternate health care profession. VISIT THE WEBSITE OF THIS ALTERNATIVE PROFESSION. YOUR PAPER MUST SHOW EVIDENCE OF THIS, AS A REQUIRED ELEMENT OF THE ASSIGNMENT. INCLUDE THE WEBSITE ADDRESS IN A “REFERENCES” PAGE (you may use additional resources, if you desire).
3. Develop a minimum of six self-designed interview questions to help frame your interview.
4. Choose a subject to interview who is practicing OR studying an alternate health care discipline from your own
5. Conduct the interview using your questions and exploring further, as needed
NOTE: The interview should be conducted in person when possible and minimally by phone
6. Prepare a 3-4 page written essay of your interview results
The strongest papers include several DIRECT QUOTATIONS from their subjects that are substantive and provide value to the essay.
Avoid a common pitfall of writing “When asked, Mr. Smith stated that….” Instead, simply quote your subject.
7. The Main component of the paper (75%) should be written in the third person (as a descriptive exploration of the profession) and should include enough information to assure that you have a reasonable understanding of your selected alternate profession including but not limited to:
Scope of practice
Name of the professional organization and their responsibilities
Your Impressions (this last section, comprising the remaining 25% of the paper) is the Reflective Component, and should be written in the first person voice. We are looking for much more than just a cursory few sentences of your impression, rather we are expecting an in-depth impression of your own new perspective, having interviewed this alternative discipline.
This section should be one full page, in a 4 page essay.
Be sure to include any thoughts you may have about your OWN future professional career now that you have an understanding of another profession.
8. Do NOT write in a Q&A format. The paper should contain complete sentences and paragraphs with appropriate flow. Your paper should read as a complete essay, with a beginning, a middle and an end. As mentioned in #6 above, avoid a common pitfall of writing “When asked, Mr. Smith stated that….” Instead, simply quote your subject.
Descriptive exploration of the profession (majority of the paper, approx 75%) written in third person. (includes background info from the Professional Association website).
Reflective component (concluding part of the paper, approx 25%) written in first person.
Do not write in Q & A format.
Use complete sentences and paragraphs. Include several direct quotations from your subject.
Include a References page that has the Professional Association website for the profession of your interviewee. THIS IS A REQUIRED ELEMENT OF THE PAPER.