- Briefly discuss the following (5 marks each)
- Major side effects of EPO abuse.
- Creatine for exercise performance.
- Major side effects of anabolic steroid
- Alpha-Reductase Inhibitors and why they are abused by athletes.
- Plasma Expanders and what they are used for?
- Therapeutic exemption drugs. (30 marks)
- Critically evaluate the advantages, disadvantages of GC/MS and immunoassay
techniques used to detect drugs of abuse. Give examples. (10 marks)
- Critically discuss this statement: Legalising performance enhancing drugs in sports improves athletic performance, decreases abuse, but reduces interest in sport.
- Critically discuss the use of agents that mask pain and drugs of abuse and discuss their
effectiveness and possible side effects. (10 marks)
- Critically evaluate the abuse of FOUR of the following agents and their mechanism of action to enhance performance. State the advantages and side effects of each, with
examples. (10 marks each)
- Gene doping
- Diuretics and Weight control
- Polyphenolic Antioxidants supplements
- Amphetamines and stimulants
- Anabolic Androgen Precursors and derivatives
END OF PAPER